RemedyBG»Forums
smushy
1 posts
Feature Request: String watch window display.

I apologize if some of these requests are already implemented or if someone else has already suggested them but here are some features that would be helpful:

Defining a character other than '.' for displaying NULL or other non-display characters in the watch window. I've come across a number of situations where I have multiple null-terminated paths in the same buffer making it hard to differentiate at a glance between dots in the actual paths and dots representing null-terminators. Another possible solution would be displaying the relevant escape sequence (NULL -> '\0') instead.

Line wrapping format specifier when using the str format specifier. Something like str wrap <count>

User-defined preset expressions for displaying data in the watch window. I tend to implement dynamic strings with a header allocated before the base pointer of the string.

example of header:

struct header { size_t len, cap; char buf[]; }

Currently I write

string,(((struct header*)string) - 1)->len

in the watch window in order to display the string.

Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
Feature Request: String watch window display.

Defining a character other than '.' for displaying NULL or other non-display characters in the watch window. I've come across a number of situations where I have multiple null-terminated paths in the same buffer making it hard to differentiate at a glance between dots in the actual paths and dots representing null-terminators. Another possible solution would be displaying the relevant escape sequence (NULL -> '\0') instead.

I'd like that too. Even displaying the escape code can be confusing at time, so in addition having them in another color, or having them with a different background color would make things obvious.