RemedyBG»Forums
1 posts
Feature request: infer subclass type from base virtual class pointer in watch window

Hello,

I am working with a codebase that heavily utilizes virtual inheritance, and my debugging experience would significantly improve if I could immediately see the class types without having to manually cast them in the watch window. I'm not certain how other debuggers, such as Visual Studio, accomplish this — whether they rely on RTTI or use other methods. Is it possible to implement this feature in RemedyBG?

Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
Feature request: infer subclass type from base virtual class pointer in watch window

You might have a faster answer by asking in the handmade network discord in the remedybg section.

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2568 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on

The way that works is that debugger can look up virtual table pointer. That has a specific type - and from there the debugger knows what class the object actually is.

Obviously this works only if there are at least one virtual function in class hierarchy. Without virtual table you won't know actual real type of object.