We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
RemedyBG»Forums
Gaurav Gautam
98 posts
Is there a way to start debugging a program while using a file for stdin ( remedy version 0.3.8.4)?
Edited by Gaurav Gautam on

Hello,

I'm using remedy for some coding practice sites and these invariably require that I have to read inputs from a testcases file. Is there a way to start a program inside remedy such that it will take the stdin from a file? I tried putting < testcases.txt in the command field but then it can't run the executable.

I also tried putting it in the arguments like this. This works in visual studio.

image.png

Mārtiņš Možeiko
2583 posts / 2 projects
Is there a way to start debugging a program while using a file for stdin ( remedy version 0.3.8.4)?

Don't know about remedy, but you can always reopen stdin/out streams during debugging/development:

freopen("testcases.txt", "r", stdin);
14 posts
The classic game dev.
Edited by Scr3amer on

Hello Sir !

If you have the source code of the app, you can modify your main to have a waitloop

int main()
{
    while(!IsDebuggerPresent()); // Loop without doing anything
    __debugbreak(); // Trigger a breakpoint once the debugger is attached and ready

... // Rest of the app
}

And run it from the terminal and then attach Remedy and it will automatically break on the __debugbreak();

Cheers

Reference:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/debugapi/nf-debugapi-isdebuggerpresent
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/intrinsics/debugbreak?view=msvc-170

Gaurav Gautam
98 posts
Edited by Gaurav Gautam on
Replying to mmozeiko (#29320)

ah thankyou! This solves other problems I was having too.

Gaurav Gautam
98 posts
Replying to Scr3amer (#29321)

Thankyou! This should work for my purposes.