The 2024 Wheel Reinvention Jam is in 16 days. September 23-29, 2024. More info

RemedyBG 0.3.8.0

RemedyBG 0.3.8.0 is now available for download.

New features

• Added a way to drive RemedyBG and receive notifications via named pipes.
  • Added support for 8K, 16K, and 32K PDB page sizes.
  • Thread names set programmatically via an exception or with SetThreadDescription are now displayed.
  • Added an explicit autoscroll option to Output window.

Improvements

• The watch window input box now spans the width of the watch window rather than the name column.
  • Increased the maximum length of watch window expressions.
  • YMM registers are now rendered in a single row of a watch window.
  • Focus is now preserved on the text pane after a text window is closed.
  • The working directory of a configuration when started from the command line is now the current directory rather than the executable's directory.
  • The window is now restored whenever a breakpoint is hit, or any event that would bring RemedyBG to the foreground, and the window is minimized.
  • A breakpoint's line number can now be edited.

Bug Fixes

• The most derived field is now used when looking up a field in expression. Fixes the expectation for using the most derived structure when there are two or more fields with identical names.
  • Fixed problem where two or more column expressions could render into to the same window.
  • Fixed reported problem with JAI's Context type where the type could be resolved as a Win32 type instead due to a case insensitive lookup.
  • Fixed crash caused when using a watch expression with relative scope when the stack overflows (e.g., {*}game_state).
  • Fixed a bug where stale, cached pages of memory were being read before being refreshed in certain cases.
  • Better fix for off-screen window at startup.
  • Fixed case where line info subsections were not properly aligned at 4 bytes boundaries.
  • Now look past any modifiers of an enum's underlying type (const/volatile).
  • Fixed a bug that could cause invalid expressions in the memory window when using "Send to Memory Window".
  • The Callstack pane would not respond to mouse events if the Module column was not displayed. This has been fixed.
  • Fixed bug where "-settings" couldn't be used with other options.
  • Fixed a case where detaching from process could leave the debugger in a bad state.
  • Fixed handling of Copy/Copy Value in watch window for summaries in struct/union types.

After launching, v0.3.8.0 thinks for a few seconds, displaying nothing, before exiting. Running in Windows 7. The last version I tried, v0.3.0.5, brings up RemedyBG window properly.

@targrub, thanks for letting me know. It's possible I introduced some Win10 specific functionality since 0.3.0.5 was released (Oct 2020). If you have any additional details, please feel free to email me. Thanks!

Replying to targrub (#26599)

Tried emailing to a protonmail account I'd interacted with before, but no response.

Replying to x13pixels (#26605)

My apologies for not responding to your email with subject "Sorry,, I have no add'l info" right away! I'll take a look at the Windows 7 issue this coming weekend. I appreciate the report.

Replying to targrub (#26612)

No problem, I just wanted to see how I could provide further info, and I wasn't sure that email account was the way to privately follow up. I've run procdump.exe now, and am seeking the proper way to get you the 86MB dump file.

Replying to x13pixels (#26613)

I don't see any documentation for the named pipe control in the readme file?

daMuzza,

At the moment, the documentation is available upon request. It will eventually be included in the official distribution. If you send me an email or a message on Discord I'll make sure you get it.

Replying to daMuzza (#26652)