RemedyBG»Forums
Chen
102 posts / 2 projects
Some guy trying to make some video game.
How to make sure RemedyBG can find source file
Edited by Chen on Reason: Initial post
Hi. When I try stepping into the code with RemedyBG, it steps into the disassembly instead of stepping into the source code itself. This indicates to me that, with the setup I have, RemedyBG fails to find the source code correlated to the executable. What is the setup required in order for RemedyBG to be able to find the source code? Thanks.
306 posts / 1 project
None
Chen96
Hi. When I try stepping into the code with RemedyBG, it steps into the disassembly instead of stepping into the source code itself. This indicates to me that, with the setup I have, RemedyBG fails to find the source code correlated to the executable. What is the setup required in order for RemedyBG to be able to find the source code? Thanks.

Chen,

RemedyBG currently only supports PDBs with full debug information. The first thing to try is compiling with /Z7 rather than /Zi.

--
George
Chen
102 posts / 2 projects
I do have /Z7 flag enabled instead of /Zi.

This is my build.bat:

@echo off

IF NOT EXIST ..\build mkdir ..\build
pushd ..\build

del *.pdb 1> NUL 2> NUL 

ctime -begin monter.ctm

REM Compile the executable -----------------------------------------------
set Macros=-DMONTER_FAST=0 -DMONTER_LOW_SETTING=0 -DMONTER_DEBUG=1
set CompilerFlags=-MT -nologo -FC -Z7 -W4 -WX -Od -wd4100 -wd4003 -wd4127 -wd4505 -wd4201 -wd4189 -wd4996 -wd4005
set LinkerFlags=-incremental:no user32.lib gdi32.lib winmm.lib Opengl32.lib shell32.lib
cl  %CompilerFlags% %Macros% -I ..\code\3rd\. ..\code\win32_main.cpp /link %LinkerFlags% 

ctime -end monter.ctm

popd

And I use basically the same setup that is done in handmade hero
306 posts / 1 project
None
In that case I'm not sure what is going on. It might be worth adding some diagnostics to the Output window in RemedyBG when failing to open a source to help track down these sort of things. I'll add that to the list.

At the moment, I'm working on some pretty major changes to the watch window expression evaluation but can dive into this more after that work is completed. If you want to email me the PDB in question (no source or executable required) we can diagnose it from there.

--
George
Chen
102 posts / 2 projects
Alright sounds good. Thanks for helping me out with this issue.
306 posts / 1 project
None
For the record, this problem was addressed in 0.2.0.1. Thanks to Chen for helping me track this down!