RemedyBG»Forums
3 posts
Does it work for compilers other than VS?
Edited by davidoro on
I tried to run an executable compiled with gcc with no success.
Remedy runs the program but shows no call stack, memory, etc, and breakpoints do not work.

Maybe it only works for the Microsoft compiler?
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2562 posts / 2 projects
It probably has to do with debug information than compiler. I'm guessing RemedyBG supports only codeview debug format in pdb files, not dwarf what gcc produces. You can try switching to clang - it is very compatible with gcc, but has ability to generate codeview debug information.

We recently had a topic on how to make clang generate pdb files here: https://codeclap.handmade.network...e_for_windows_dwarf_support#16984
4 posts
Edited by Castan on
Trying to resurrect this;
Has anyone actually tried this? I've tried a bunch of solutions found around but none seems to be fully working. The best I've been able to do on clang is getting working breakpoints and call stack, but the watch is broken (doesn't find any name). Also the current line yellow arrow indicator doesn't show up when stepping through code (it shows in assembly, though), which is weird, and might or might not mean anything at all.
311 posts / 1 project
None
Castan
Trying to resurrect this;
Has anyone actually tried this? I've tried a bunch of solutions found around but none seems to be fully working. The best I've been able to do on clang is getting working breakpoints and call stack, but the watch is broken (doesn't find any name). Also the current line yellow arrow indicator doesn't show up when stepping through code (it shows in assembly, though), which is weird, and might or might not mean anything at all.

Castan,

The watch window bug when using a Clang generated PDB is written up here Github Issue.

Note that I still haven't put my full focus into supporting Clang other than to make sure that RemedyBG doesn't crash when using a PDB generated from Clang.

--
George
4 posts
Edited by Castan on
Ah, I see. That's nice, at least now I have something to keep track of the state of this. :-)
Thank you.