RemedyBG»Forums
117 posts
Code hacker/developer
Very Exciting project!
I am very happy to hear about this project. Throughout this journey, let me know if you ever need a hand.
306 posts / 1 project
None
Very Exciting project!
Thanks much, Todd. Will do.
10 posts
Very Exciting project!
No linux support planned ? :(
Jeremiah Goerdt
208 posts / 1 project
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Very Exciting project!
I'm also excited to see how all this turns out.

I haven't looked into the available libraries for Windows yet (I've just done Linux so far), but what are the best choices out there? Why did you decide to go library free?

I'll be watching ;-)

P.S.

the_calling
No linux support planned ? :(

Good question!
306 posts / 1 project
None
Very Exciting project!
the_calling,

There is no Linux support planned, sorry.
306 posts / 1 project
None
Very Exciting project!
CaptainKraft,

Thanks.

As far as I am aware, there are only Microsoft libraries available (given that you are writing a debugger for code generated with their tool chain). These libraries work OK for high level stuff but are cumbersome (and buggy) for a number of tasks.

Debug Help Library

Debugger Engine Reference

Debug Interface Access SDK

The bare minimum API required for writing a debugger is support from the OS itself.

Debugging Functions
Jeremiah Goerdt
208 posts / 1 project
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Very Exciting project!
x13pixels
CaptainKraft,

Thanks.

As far as I am aware, there are only Microsoft libraries available (given that you are writing a debugger for code generated with their tool chain). These libraries work OK for high level stuff but are cumbersome (and buggy) for a number of tasks.

Debug Help Library

Debugger Engine Reference

Debug Interface Access SDK

The bare minimum API required for writing a debugger is support from the OS itself.

Debugging Functions

That Debug Interface Access seems nice for getting the pdb symbols. I'm not sure how difficult it is to do without a library though. I use libdwarf for doing this on Linux ELF files which contain DWARF symbols. However, I do want to remove the need for that library someday. For now, it's helping me make progress.

Do you already have your own cod efor reading pdb symbols?
306 posts / 1 project
None
Very Exciting project!
CaptainKraft,

Yes sir. I am writing the code for parsing PDBs myself.
Stewart Henderson
3 posts
Very Exciting project!
Very cool project!
306 posts / 1 project
None
Very Exciting project!
Thanks Stewart.