RemedyBG»Forums
2 posts
Disassembly window is unexpectedly empty
Edited by paulbarrick on Reason: Typo

This might be related to a previous post (https://remedybg.handmade.network/forums/t/8657-break_on_crash)

I am trying to debug an AVX-512 exe which crashes, and I need to find out if it is an unsupported instruction on my CPU which is causing it.

I launch the program within RemedyBG, and when the crash occurs, RemedyBG shows a red bar at the top with "Exception thrown ..... Illegal Instruction".

The disassembly window is blank, and I am unsure why. Visual Studio will show the disassembly under the same circumstances.

Is this a feature not implemented, or could it be a bug in RemedyBG?

Simon Anciaux
1341 posts

I observe the same behavior when I don't generate debug symbols (pdb file). The call stack is also empty (it contains line but there is no text in it).

If you have the debug symbols then there is an issue loading them.

But you can contact George (discord, github or e-mail) because I think it's expected that the assembly window should work even without the debug symbols (it's displaying the assembly when the exception is not an illegal instruction, but the call stack is still empty).

313 posts / 1 project
None
Replying to mrmixer (#29263)

I built the following Intel sample which uses AVX-512: https://github.com/intel/Developer-Tools-Runtimes-Blogs/blob/master/AVX512_Blog/AverageFloat.cpp

RemedyBG halted at the first AVX-512 instruction with 0xC000001D: Illegal Instruction with a valid call stack and disassembly output.

image.png

What you described does indeed sound like a RemedyBG bug, though. What's the best way to reproduce this behavior?

Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
Replying to x13pixels (#29265)

If you don't have debug symbols, the call stack and assembly panels are empty. The call stack contains lines without text, because I only have function name activated. If you double click a line in the call stack it loads the disassembly correctly.

I would have expected the assembly window to display the correct thing without double clicking the call stack. Also part of the confusion on my part was that since there are no symbols, the function names aren't available and the call stack is confusing. Having "No symbol loaded" (or something similar) instead of an empty line would probably avoid the confusion.

313 posts / 1 project
None
Replying to mrmixer (#29266)

I see. Thanks Simon.

I forgot that you usually turn off the module name and address columns which would explain the empty lines in absence of symbols. Thanks for the suggestion for having an indication for this in the function name column.